Saturday, August 7, 2010

Aspirations

I looked up in the dictionary the true meaning of aspiration. The title I was shooting for was not to mean the pronunciation accompanied by breathing out as was one of the meanings, but rather, the desire or ambition to achieve something. It's my dream to someday create beautiful, historic gowns with soft, delicate fabrics, or heavy brocades and lovely laces. As for now, I work with cottons, yet even cottons are attractive.
These pictures are courtesy of a museum online (unfortunately I have forgotten the exact place, since our internet has been out for a week or two!) and their AMAZING collection of dresses. I like trying to imagine what each lady who where the original owners of these dresses were like and what they looked like. These are my favorites of but a few of the many, many gorgeous dresses.

This 1700's dress is adorable, and is made of cotton :)

Wish fervently we still wore this style of dress! or at least still have the option of wearing one like this without being considered "out there"

This bodice is sooooo lovely, I wonder what kind of fabric it is??

Morning dress from the 1850's. A nice cotton once again! (huzzah)

This Dinner dress from the 1870's (and the one beneath it from 1885) makes me feel crazy happy. *sigh* Oh the days when we could wear this to dinner! The soft pastel colors, the detail around the neckline and sleeve hem, the ruffles are all so perfectly feminine and delicate! I honestly would pass out if I ever got to wear something like this!

Like I said above, I feel the same way about this dress. I ADORE the belt!

Ok, the lace peeking out at the left shoulder and appearing under the bows in the skirts make me happy! the style is the norm for the late 1800's, but just the details of the lace and where they appear is just completely different from any paintings or pictures that I've seen from that time period, that it makes it a favorite!

lovely, lovely dress from the 1914's - 1917's

Evening dress from the 1950's. unfortunately there were no pictures with color, but the description said it was a pale blue with dark blue details. I'm sure it was absolutely breathtaking in the glittering lights at a party with the accessories! *sigh again*

I can imagine perfectly what the lady who once wore this looked like...

6 comments:

  1. Those are quite some amazing gowns! Especially the last one. Wow. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous dear. You should recreate one of them. Or all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one really caught my eye! I wish we still dressed like this. Go for it! Make them!

    Oh, & thank you for following my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last dress is simply to DIE FOR!!!!! I think I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore dresses from the 1940's/50's... so beautiful x) Makes me happy just to LOOK at the last one.

    ReplyDelete