Monday, March 14, 2011

Dream On


~According to legend, if you rub yourself with the herb marjoram (or anoint yourself with it) before going to sleep, you'll supposedly dream of your future spouse. ~

 
That tickled me when I read it, so OF COURSE I had to try it. Just for fun though, since I don't believe in superstitions. And last night was the perfect time to try it, because it's no fun doing this kind of thing by yourself! My dear friend Katie spent the night, and I had mentioned it when she first came over, but with all our talking, watching Downton Abbey, and talking some more0 until 1:30 in the morning, I nearly forgot it. I was almost asleep when I suddenly remembered and probably scared Katie half to death by jumping upright and yelling "MARJORAM!" After scrambling for a light, I burst into Maddy's room, because my sister had to participate too! So after grabbing the herb from the kitchen, I came back to my room, where all of us perched on my bed and then found out it was ground marjoram, instead of marjoram leaves. Although we didn't know what to do with it at first, we decided to rub it on our arms since it was a powder. I couldn't wait to drift off to sleep.

Next thing I know the alarm is going off and I groggily asked Katie if she had any dreams about a "future possibility." Nope, no dreams at all. Neither did Maddy. I had dreams, but they were all about some weird concert or speech and there were SO many people that I couldn't even began to sort out if there was one person who reoccurred in my dreams. haha. Serves us right. But ya never know. It's still a fun idea for a slumber party or something funny you can do with your sister(s).
A few more hilarious ideas are:

~Sleep with yarrow under your pillow to dream of your true love. To make marriage certain and soon, slip in some orange leaves with the yarrow.
~Tie 3 laurel leaves to the foot of you bed and your love will be blind to everyone but you. (Yeah right!)
~If you are a woman, offer your intended a spring of basil. If he accepts, you have won him. If that fails, bathe in warm water to which a cupful of rose petals and a teaspoon of dill seeds have been added.
The only problem is, that if you do dream of someone you have a fancy for, this might make some ladies a little desperate and make some silly mistakes. Don't really hand a guy a bunch of basil...its WAY too obvious. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment