Saturday, May 28, 2011

Stories from the Beach

 Well, we're finally back home. Each day this past week was more full of adventure then the day before, and boy did I enjoy it! I sure wish we had a picture for every time something hilariously epic happened to me and my sister this week though. Like the the other day when Maddy and I were straggling towards the shore, trying to avoid large waves, and one unsuspecting wave slams into me, and I, in turn, accidentally slammed into Maddy. We nearly collapsed on the shore, from the sudden lack of balance and from laughter. Or the time I decided to wade out to a sandbar when we were in our everyday clothes, and I took a step in the wrong direction and splashed into water hip deep, soaking myself. Or the time Maddy and I were in one of the elevators and right before getting to our level, it made a horrifying sound like the cable was straining and the elevator jerked. You can be sure Maddy and I praised the Lord oh-so-sincerely when the doors opened onto our floor and we made it out alive. Or when Maddy squished into the bottom bunk with me, made each other laugh so hard we were crying and our Dad had to get onto us for being too loud, and that made it even harder not to giggle. Or the time...well, you get the point. :)

 Thursday we armed ourselves with inner tubes, sunscreen, and shades as we ran to the emerald sea. As we struggled passed the onslaught of waves to deeper, calmer waters, we noticed that the algae was rampant...eeeewww. It was like we were swimming in Kumbacha (an algea- filled, natural drink some good friends of mine like...I have no idea why...lol) or some primordial soup.
The sea-soup grossed me out pretty bad, but then I made myself ignore it. After one particularly large wave slammed us, I let out a screech, which unfortunately sounded just like a seagull. Apparently, some little kids noticed too, because on shore they were staring at me, heads cocked to one side, as if contemplating what on EARTH I was.
    
 I can see it now...
 A small child turns to it's father, pointing at me, asking, "Dad, what was that?!" The dad is thinking, looks like a girl, but sounds like a seagull...hmm...  "Well,  I believe that thing is called a Morgan. Stay clear from it kids, it could be dangerous."  
Oh heavens.

Suddenly, I look down and I am surrounded by that slime. I could have ignored it, like I did earlier. I should have ignored it, but my imagination went berserk. Here is a glimpse into my mind at that moment. The slime was really a cloud hiding some evil creature from the deep! The cloud of slime wrapped around me, about to enfold me in its embrace of death and the monster-from-the-deep was about to grab my legs and yank me under the waves and...I lost it and swam away FAST, faster than I ever have before ( I kid you not),  leaving my poor sister to fend for herself against imaginary creatures of the deep.  
Friday the waves were "dangerous", according to the red flag the lifeguards put up. A red flag means a strong current and/or large waves. Both in this case and boy was it fun! Since it was our last day at the beach, Maddy and I decided to make the most of it. We built a drizzle castle and got help decorating it by two bitty girls. After waving goodbye to our new little friends and our "feather castle", we headed off to swim. At one point I heard Maddy screaming. I whirled around expecting her to be mauled by a shark, but instead I see her hurdling towards me on her pink inner tube, on top of a colossal wave. Before she slammed into me I managed little else but a loud holler. Saltwater rushed up my nose and mouth, knocked off my sunglasses and flipped right me off that inner tube. Lucky for me I grabbed my sunglasses with one hand and with the other managed to snag the inner tube before it was washed away. Oh the delightful sensation of salt water up your nose...

Later, a veil of clouds had obscured the sun, and the wind picked up, creating even larger waves. That was the most fun! We were the only ones out there swimming for a long time. We would do different things with each humongous wave that came our way. Sometimes we would fling ourselves at it, and then be pummeled back by the wave. Sometimes if it was too large, or not large enough, we would dive into it. Sometimes Maddy would fling herself backwards and do a flip inside the wave. We had so much fun. So we decided to just exit the easy way. We tried our best to avoid the huge waves while attempting to get to shore, but getting pummeled was inevitable. I was slammed so hard, I could NOT, for the life of me, get back up, so I was momentarily tossed around by the waves. The only redeeming factor of such an unladylike exit was that we got wonderful exfoliation from the sand we SMASHED into. *ahem*

Yesterday as we were headed home, to our delight we stopped by the Vicksburg National Military Park, in Mississippi. Oh was it beautiful there! After leaving, our Dad was super sweet and drove us around historic downtown Vicksburg, where all the old, fabulous houses are. Mother, Maddy and I couldn't stop oohing and ahhing at all the old homes. One of the oldest we got a glimpse of was from 1853! If you ever happen to pass by there, you HAVE to go and look around at everything! After that fun excursion, we got terribly lost on the small backroads. That made it even more exciting! lol. Eventually, we found our way again, and here we are, home at last. I will be posting the pictures hopefully sometime tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment